Automating Oracle Java 8 updates
To go along with my earlier post about automating Oracle Java 7 updates, I’ve also posted a script to download and install the latest Java 8 update from Oracle. The method is identical, with the exception of referring to Java 8’s SUFeedURL value in Java 8’s /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Info.plist file.
For more information, see below the jump.
The script below will download a disk image containing the latest version of Java 8 from Oracle and install Java 8 using the installer package stored inside the downloaded disk image.
How the script works:
- Uses curl to download a disk image containing the latest Java 8 installer from Oracle’s web site.
- Renames the downloaded disk image to java_eight.dmg and stores it in /tmp.
- Mounts the disk image silently in /tmp. The mounted disk image will not be visible to any logged-in user.
- Installs the latest Java 8 using the installer package stored on the disk image.
- After installation, unmounts the disk image and removes it from the Mac in question.
I’ve posted the script to my GitHub repo at the following address:
This script is also available as a payload-free installer package, stored as a .zip file in the payload_free_installer directory.