Adding program icon artwork to Casper’s Self Service
One of my favorite touches of JAMF’s Self Service application is that it allows you to add graphics files to be displayed for the various policy options. I like it because it gives users a visual cue when they’re searching for a particular application installer or other Self Service-hosted policy. It also helps make the Self Service application look nice, which is something else I appreciate.
Getting high-quality art for Self Service can be surprisingly easy. In many cases, you can use the artwork directly from the application itself, by using Preview’s “New from Clipboard” function . See below the jump for how to do this.
The first thing is to verify that you have the application on your machine. In this case, I’m using Firefox as an example.
1. Select the application you want and click Edit: Copy. This will store the program’s icon on the clipboard.
2. Open the Preview application and select File: New from Clipboard
3. A new window will open, showing the program icon artwork.
4. Select File: Save and you’ll be given the option to save the icon in a variety of formats. Casper prefers PNG files, so I’m saving it in that format.
5. Check the newly-saved PNG and make sure it looks like what you want.
6. Log into your Casper server and go to the Self Service policy that needs the artwork.
7. In the Icon: line, select Choose File…
8. Casper will open a new Policy Icon window. Click on the Choose File button.
9. Select your newly-created PNG file.
10. Click the Upload Selected File… button to save the PNG file to your Casper server.
11. Casper should then take you back to the Self Service Options window, where the PNG file should show up in the Icon: line.
Once associated with your Self Service policy, the artwork should now show up in Self Service as being associated with your Casper policy.