DeployStudio 1.7.3 updated from build 160401 to build 160404 to address Active Directory binding issue
Following the release of DeployStudio 1.7.3, I discovered and reported a problem with the Active Directory binding to the DeployStudio folks.
To address the issue, they released a new version of DeployStudio but didn’t change the version number from 1.7.3. Instead, the new DeployStudio 1.7.3 has a different build number:
- DeployStudio 1.7.3 build 160401 – released April 1st, 2016
- DeployStudio 1.7.3 build 160404 – released April 4th, 2016
If you have already installed DeployStudio 1.7.3, I recommend checking to see which build you have installed. If needed, upgrade both your DeployStudio server and DeployStudio boot sets to DeployStudio 1.7.3 build 160404.
For more details on identifying the different builds of DeployStudio 1.7.3, see below the jump.
In my research, I found three places where you can find the build number:
1. Running the following command on the DeployStudio server:
/usr/bin/defaults read "/Applications/Utilities/DeployStudio Admin.app/Contents/Info" CFBundleVersion
If you have DeployStudio 1.7.3 build 160401, the following string will be returned:
If you have DeployStudio 1.7.3 build 160404, the following string will be returned:
2. The build number is also listed in the DeployStudio installer metapackage’s Important Information window:
3. The other place you can find the build number is in the DeployStudio preference pane:
What changed between build 160401 and build 160404?
When DeployStudio 1.7.3 build 160401 was released, I and others tested it and discovered a couple of things:
- On OS X 10.11.x, DeployStudio is now using a configuration profile for Active Directory binding.
- The Active Directory binding worked but not all options were being set properly. Specifically, the Active Directory plug-in’s Use UNC path from Active Directory to derive network home location setting was not being disabled when it should have been.
When alerted to the issue, the DeployStudio folks released DeployStudio 1.7.3 build 160404. This fixed the issue by correctly setting a particular value in the DeployStudio-generated configuration profile.
With the correct value now being set by the configuration profile, the Use UNC path from Active Directory to derive network home location setting is now properly handled.
For those interested in the configuration profile itself, I have an example linked below: