In working through various issues with JAMF, I’ve noticed that a variety of issues I’ve reported are themselves tied to JAMF’s internal bug-reporting system of defect numbers. At the moment, the only way I get any visibility into progress on those defect numbers is by asking my account manager. My current account manager is pretty responsive, but this seems like a job that can be offloaded from his list of responsibilities. I also don’t always want to open a support call when I notice a bug, sometimes I just want to report it.
Here’s what I would want from JAMF in a bug reporting solution:
- I want a way to report bugs that I’ve noticed.
- I want a way to be able to check for myself the status of the reported bug.
- I also want to know how many other people are reporting this issue. Not just because I’d like to know if I’m filing a duplicate issue, but stats like that may give me some insight into how soon my bug will get fixed.
For a bug report itself, I want:
- The ability to upload screenshots and screen capture movies and be able to attach them to the bug report.
- The ability to add additional information to the initial bug report.
- Email notifications when my bug’s status has changed.
- A way for the developer working on the bug to be able to reach out and get more details from me directly.
- The ability to see both open and closed bug reports that I’ve submitted.
- If I’ve filed a duplicate issue, read-only access to the original filed bug report.
I file bug reports with Apple, so I know the drill. I know not all bugs get fixed as fast as I want them to. Sometimes, they don’t get fixed at all. What I want is more information, and to be able to access that information myself.
As it happens, there’s an existing Feature Request for this already open at JAMF Nation. Please vote it up. Hopefully one day soon, I’ll see that status change from UNDER REVIEW to IMPLEMENTED.