Accepted meeting requests in Outlook showing as new meeting invitations on other devices
One of my users was having a problem with meeting invites on his iPhone and iPad, where he would accept a meeting in Outlook 2011 and the meeting would show up afterwards as a new invite on his iDevices. He’d accept it there and it would be fine for a while, until he went to check something about the meeting in Outlook. At that point, his iDevices would again get a new meeting request for the already-accepted meeting that he had just looked at.
After a lot of re-accepted meetings and frustration, a solution was finally found. See below the jump for details.
The issue was that Exchange was set to automatically put new meeting requests with a status of Tentative onto his calendar. For some reason, just accessing the meeting entry on the calendar was triggering Exchange to mark the entry as a new meeting invite and update his iDevices.
The fix was to stop that automatic processing from happening. Here’s how to do it:
1. Log into Outlook Web Access
2. At the top right corner of the browser window, click Options and select See All Options…
3. Select Settings in the left menu, then click on the Calendar icon.
4. Uncheck Automatically place new meeting requests on my calendar, marked Tentative.
5. Click Save at the bottom of the page.
Once this was done, the recurring new meeting request behavior stopped.