Accessing the Equation Tools in Word 2011
We’ve gotten in a couple of calls from our users asking how to work with equations in Word 2011. So that other folks know, here’s how you do it:
1. Make sure that your document is saved in Word’s .docx format, as the equation editor will only be available to documents in that file format.
If you have a .doc document open in Word and need to work with the equation editor, please save your document in .docx format. Once saved in .docx format, the equation editor will become available.
2. Select the place in your Word document where you want a new equation to be inserted.
3. Under the Insert menu, select Equation.
3. The Equation Tools will open in the toolbar and you’ll be prompted in the document to type the equation.
Another way to access the Equation Tools is the following method:
1. Make sure that your document is saved in Word’s .docx format.
2. Click on the Document Elements tab in the toolbar.
3. In the Document Elements tab, click on the pi symbol (π) to access the Equation Tools.