Insert Citations and Bibliography from Mekentosj Papers to Word 2011
One of my users requested help today with inserting document citations from Mekentosj Papers into Word 2011, where the user wanted to use the Papers Word 2008 export feature instead of using Endnote. The procedure was not intuitive, so I’ve documented it and posted it here in the event anyone else needs it. See below the jump for the procedure.
Exporting from Papers
Mekentosj Papers offers the ability to export selected papers into Word 2011 as elements of the main bibliography source. Use the following steps to successfully export from Papers and into Word 2011.
Note: The Papers export file will be creating a file named Sources.xml in /Users/username/Documents/Microsoft User Data. If you have an existing citations list already in Word, the Papers export will offer to back up your Sources.xml file before replacing it with a new Papers-generated Sources.xml
1. Quit out of Word 2011
2. Open Papers
3. Select the documents that you want to cite.
4. In the Papers File menu, select Export:Word2008 Bibliography
5. Launch Word 2011
Using the Word 2011 Citations feature
To activate the Word 2011 Citations feature, click the Citations button (indicated by the red box) to open the Citations window.
In the Citations window, you have the following options:
Citation Style: Click this pop-up menu to choose from four different styles: APA, Chicago, MLA, and Turabian.
Citations List: Word maintains a list of your citations. This option shows Word’s master citations list filtered by the selected style. Select a citation; then double-click it to insert it in your document at the insertion cursor.
Add Citation (indicated by ( + ) button): Displays the Add New Citation dialog for your master citations list. You can enter appropriate data for the currently selected citation style.
Delete Citation (indicated by ( – ) button): Removes the selected citation from Word’s master citation list.
Edit Source… (indicated by the button): Allows you to edit a listed citation.
Citation Source Manager… (indicated by the button): Allows you to add your Papers-exported citations to the Citations List.
Using the Papers-exported citations in Word 2011
To add the Papers-exported citations to the Citations List, use the following steps.
1. Launch Word 2011 and open the document that you want to add the citations to.
2. Click the Citations button (indicated by the red box) to open the Citations window.
3. Click the button and select Citation Source Manager…
4. Select the citations you want to add from the left-hand side of the Source Manager window and click the Copy button to add them to the list on the right-hand side.
5. Once all wanted citations have been added, click the Close button to close the Source Manager window.
6. The selected citations should now appear in the Citations List.
7. To add a citation, select the right place for it in your document and double-click the citation to insert it in your document at the insertion cursor.
8. To edit the page range of the citation, click on the citation and a drop-down menu will appear.
9. Click the arrow to the right of the citation, choose Edit this Citation and enter the page number.
Once the citations have been added, you can also use Word to build the bibliography.
1. To create a bibliography, choose Bibliography from the Document Elements tab and choose which type of bibliography you want to insert.
2. The bibliography is inserted into the document.
3. If you insert more references, select the bibliography and a Bibliography drop-down menu will appear. Click the arrow next to it and choose Update Citations and Bibliography.