Got a few things done today.
In the wake of the move and consolidation of both of my former blogs into this one on WordPress, I’m slowly but surely going through all of my old LiveJournal entries (now living in the archives of this blog) and categorizing of all of them. No real reason, I just don’t like them being listed as “Uncategorized.” However, that’s not the most interesting task on Earth, so I got diverted onto other problems that I’ve been working on, on and off, for the past few months.
The main problem I’ve been having is making OS X Server’s VPN service work through the firewall on my internet connection. Apple does provide a list of what network ports are used by their services on OS X and OS X Server and it’s been an invaluable reference, but I always seemed to be *this* close to making it work without ever having it work. Today, finally, it now works. One thing to check off the list. For those that are interested, here are the ports that I opened to make both PPTP and L2TP VPNs work through the firewall on my Linksys router:
You also need to have GRE working in order to have a PPTP server working. This isn’t a port you can open on your firewall, unfortunately, but it should work as long as you have the right ports open.
Other than that, it was a pretty quiet day. I also got the Net::SSLeay Perl module installed on the server that I’m running Webmin on, which was a prerequisite for SSL-enabled logins for Webmin, so I’ve finally got secure logins up on working on my Webmin installation. The trick was to install the module using CPAN in Terminal, instead of using Webmin to install it.